Essentially, SEO blogging is writing and publishing blog posts on your website that are optimised for the search engines. For example, if you include popular keywords in your posts with a high search volume, but low competition, your website can jump to the top of page one very quickly.
This is called on-page SEO blogging and should be part of every business owner’s online marketing arsenal. Here are 7 more great tips for optimising your posts for the search engines.
- Use long-tail keywords: Gone are the days when you could literally stuff your posts with keywords. It’s much better for ranking and for user-engagement if you focus on one or two long tail keywords (per post) that users are likely to enter in their browsers when they are searching on the internet.
- Meta data: Use these keywords in the title, title tag and meta description of each post. Make sure that they are within the first 60 characters of the title and title tag, so that google doesn’t truncate your title in the serps (search engine results pages). Also, Google has recently increased the character limit for the meta description to 320 characters, so a good on-page SEO blogging tip is to use all this space by including a few variants of your keywords.
- Headers: Your keywords need to be in as many headers as seems reasonable within each post, so that it not only reads well, but it is also optimised for your keywords.
- URLs: A good on-page SEO blogging technique is to include your keywords in the URL of the post, because Google also checks these URLs to help it understand the topic of your posts.
- Image alt tags: These are one of the most forgotten on-page SEO techniques, but because Google can’t read images, it needs these alt tags to decide on the topic of your images. So use your keywords here as well - instead of naming your images ‘image8521’, use your keywords!
- Use categories: If you include these categories automatically in the URL of your posts, you not only help your visitors find posts that might interest them, but you also help search engines to understand the logic of your website much better.
- Internal links: Adding links between posts on your website is another SEO blogging tip that helps your visitors navigate easily through your website and also has the side benefit of keeping them on your site for longer. Search engines also like internal links, as it helps them to understand the structure of your website.
Don’t forget that you also need a mobile friendly website, as Google is starting to preferentially index mobile sites over desktop sites.
To learn more SEO Blogging tips (and a whole lot more about SEO), why not attend one of our workshops? Call us at The SEO Shop on 07 4080 7315 or drop us an email.